P.S 133 Equity Committee
We know that equity is a big part of our beliefs as a school community, but how does it manifest itself in our daily practices? In alignment with Chancellor’s Pillars “creating a welcoming and affirming environment for everyone. This year at PS 133 we want to take a deeper dive into what this statement means for us as a community.
You are invited to participate in the Principals’ Roundtable as we develop a focus group to establish our Community Agreements around creating a welcoming and affirming environment for everyone.
The Principal’s Priority Focus is to create a PS 133 Equity Team composed of staff and caregivers to support and address equity and inclusion practices that impact the community and develop a code of ethics to define what it means to be an inclusive community at #PS133Brooklyn. Our meetings will take place once a month and will be co-facilitated by Damond Haynes and Ms. Foster-Mann. We will meet in person in the library from 4:00PM-5:15PM. They will be held on the first Monday of each month beginning on October 2nd through May 6th.
Monday, October 2nd, 2023
Monday November 6th, 2023
Monday December 4th, 2023
Monday, January 8th, 2024
February 5th, 2024
March 4th , 2024
April 1st, 2024
May 6th , 2024
October 2nd, 2023
Think about when you were in school and think about someone you would stand up for. Who would you stand up for? Things that came up : Guilt, School Culture, Physical features etc…
Consensus Meeting - agreement on some decision by all members of a group, rather than a majority or a select group of representatives. The consensus process is what a group goes through to reach this agreement.
How do we make sure that we have a daily practice to uphold the agreements ?
What do you want to see/ Goal :
- Why did the dynamics of the school change?
- How can we build community to include the neighborhood?
- What can we do to welcome diversity (financial / ethical/ backgrounds) and inclusion in all the events ?
- In creating our agreement, how can we include mixed raced, mixed cultures? How can we be mindful of our blindspots?
Community Agreements: The goal is to come up with a list of agreements to create a safe space for all.
- We need to create a daily practice for the community.
- We have to stay curious and be responsible for our own curiosity.
- We have to be willing to analyze systems and habits that you may personally benefit from.
- Group is a call to action( came from SLT) to create a space to make people feel welcome. How does our behavior make other people feel? How can we get the work done? How can we practice what we want to see in the community?
- The meetings are open to everyone.
Next Step:Come up with equitable examples of community agreements ( Look outside of schools; corporate America, CCAR , YMCA , AFROPUNK, community centers)